Slip, Trip and Fall Claims

Slip, Trip and Fall Claims

Slips, trips and falls can cause serious and life-changing injuries. They can also have a significant impact on your lifestyle and long-term health. Most commonly, accidents of this type occur in public places such as shopping centres and supermarkets, and all kinds of workplaces.

Established in 1988, we are accredited personal injury solicitors by The Law Society and have successfully represented thousands of people to recover compensation for slips and trips. Since we were established, we have developed the expertise needed to ensure that anyone affected by such an accident is properly compensated for the injuries they sustain and any associated costs incurred as a result of their injuries.

No Obligation

Free Consultation

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Public Place Fall Injury Claims

    What's Involved In Making A Claim?

    A claim for compensation as a result of a slip, trip or fall, will take into account:


    • Physical and psychological pain and suffering
    • Rehabilitative therapy and support
    • Counselling and support
    • Loss of earnings
    • Expenses, such as any travel and medication costs


    No two claims are the same and the amount of compensation you can claim will depend on the severity of your injuries and the need for ongoing support. We offer a free no-obligation, no pressure consultation so we can advise you if you have a legal claim. We will also discuss the various funding options available to pay for our services, including our No Win No Fee* agreements.


    If you wish to proceed with a claim, we will then contact those responsible for your accident to see if they accept the responsibility for your injuries. Our lawyers will examine your case and gather all the evidence to support this. We will also review the medical care and therapy you will need to recover from your injuries. All this evidence will be used to evaluate your claim for compensation.


    The majority of our claims are settled out of court, however, if your opponent fails to accept responsibility or the level of compensation you are claiming we will initiate court proceedings. Once a court date is set, claims can still settle beforehand. If your claim does proceed to trial, we are available at all times and will help and support you at every stage, so you feel as comfortable and as informed as possible.

    Who's Responsible?

    We can help you make a claim if your injury is the result of someone else’s negligence. Claims can be brought against:


    • Building owners (where the building has public access)
    • Councils
    • Local authorities
    • Other persons or organisations responsible for public pathways


    You can make a claim on behalf of someone else who cannot do it for themselves. If your loved one has sadly passed away in an accident, you can make a claim on behalf of the Estate. It is also acceptable to make a claim on behalf of a child, or for anyone who does not have the mental capacity to do so themselves by acting as their litigation friend.


    Compensation will pay for medical treatment and rehabilitation. Where a fatality has occurred, compensation can provide the much-needed financial support for dependents. It can also be claimed for counselling and support to cope with the loss of your loved one. Our specialist team are ready to help you with your claim. To find out more about how we could help you, contact us on 0800 195 9590.

    Public Liability Claim

    If the accident was caused by the negligence of others, you stand a chance of being compensated for personal damages suffered. Liability for the accident will often be based on where it occurred. If a slip occurred on an uneven pavement slab in the street, the local council will more than likely be liable. While if the accident occurred in a supermarket or shopping centre, the owner of the premises will more than likely be liable.


    If the accident occurred in a public place, then it is classed as a public liability claim and the person or company who owns or is responsible for maintaining the area should have a public liability insurance policy. This is designed to compensate members of the public for any injury that is sustained on the property caused by their negligence. According to the Government’s Compensation Recovery Unit (CRU) the number of Public Liability claims registered totalled 92,709 in 2015/2016, so this is not an uncommon issue.


    If you feel your injury was the cause of property negligence, then we will aim to make a claim for compensation against their insurance policy. Call us for free on 0800 195 95 90 and discuss your claim with one of our expert team. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and are ready to take your call.

    How Long Do I Have To Sue?

    Generally, you have three years from the date of your accident to make a personal injury claim though it is advisable to contact us as soon as possible after your accident in any circumstances. We find that witnesses are easier to contact and collating the evidence needed to support your case is easier while it is still recent, helping to keep the process as simple as possible for all parties. There are some exceptions to the three-year time limit, and these include:


    Mental capacity – there are no time limits to make a claim on behalf of someone without the mental capacity to handle their own affairs though we would still urge you to contact us as soon as possible.


    Claims on behalf of children can be made at any time prior to their 18th birthday. After their 18th birthday, they can make their own claim at any stage up until they turn 21 provided a claim has not already been made on their behalf.


    Fatal accident claims – from the date of death of a loved one, you have 3 years to make a claim. If a post-mortem proves that the death was a result of an accident or illness, the time limit may change to three years from the date of knowledge. This is a complex area and we advise you to seek legal advice as soon as possible.


    In any personal injury claim, we would recommend that you contact us as soon as possible after the accident. Each case is different and our team will take the time to talk to you about the individual circumstances of your accident and the impact that your injuries are having on your life. You can call us today on 0800 195 9590 for a free initial consultation with our specialist personal injury team.

    Funding A Fall, Slip And Trip Claim

    The majority of our slip, trip or fall cases are funded on a ‘No Win No Fee*’ basis. This agreement is also known as a conditional fee agreement, which is often abbreviated to CFA. This means there is no financial risk to you in pursuing a claim and you will only be liable for our legal costs should you be successful in your claim.¹³


    If we think your case may not be successful, then we will do our best to inform you of this during your initial consultation or as soon as this is determined. A No Win No Fee* case arrangement does not suit everyone, and we are happy to discuss the various options of how you choose to fund your claim. We will help you decide what best fits you and your claim.


    Our experts are ready to assist you. We handle thousands of personal injury claims every year. In our experience, very few cases are the same despite some similarities between them, read more. For more detailed information regarding funding and legal fees, you can speak to a member of our team on 0800 195 9590.

    Case Studies

    Compensation That Changes Lives

    Read the stories of how we have helped people with rehabilition, compensation and support as to get their lives back after a slip, trip or fall accident.